Yes, we realize this is the HR equivalent of watching a car wreck, but we can’t help ourselves when it comes to lists of dumb things people say in interviews.
These come courtesy of CNN, which polled HR managers:
Q: Why are you leaving your current job?
- “Because I [wet] my pants every time I enter the building.”
- “Cigarettes are getting more expensive so I need another job.”
- “I got fired because they were forcing me to attend anger-management classes.”
- “My old boss didn’t like me, so one day, I just left and never came back. And here I am!”
- “I stole some equipment from my old job, and I had to pay for its replacement.”
Random, unsolicited comments
- “May I have a cup of coffee? I think I may still be a little drunk from last night.”
- (During a phone interview) “Can we meet next month? I am currently incarcerated.”
- “Wow — I’m not used to wearing dress shoes! My feet are killing me. Can I show you these bloody blisters?”
- “If I get an offer, how long do I have before I have to take the drug test?”
- (During an interview for a job with the Chamber of Commerce) “Exactly what does a Chamber of Commerce do?”