If your company takes on the expense of offering dental coverage to employees, you’d like to see that benefit used to its max.
But it probably isn’t, considering:
- Just one in three employees feel they have the info they need about their company’s dental options to pick the right coverage, while
- One in five admit they have “no idea” what is and isn’t covered.
Those are the shocking findings of the recent “Dental Insights” study by MetLife.
The 3-pronged approach that works best
Understanding the plan seems to be the key to keeping employees happy with (and using) what your company’s offering, says MetLife.
But beware: Successfully educating employees about these benefits requires a multi-faceted approach:
- Educate them on coverage. Yes, tell them what’s covered and what isn’t. But also provide things like a utilization summary so folks know which benefits they’ve used so far
- Use “uncommon resources” such as oral health risk assessments, and
- Stress the importance of oral health. When employees grasp the link between oral health and overall health, they’ll become better consumers.