What’s more important to employees than saving for retirement and managing debt?
Getting health insurance coverage for themselves and their families.
In fact, health insurance currently trumps all worker concerns except “generating current income,” according to the 2009 National Consumer Survey on Personal Finance released by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards.
Here’s what employees are concerned about today:
- Generating current income (59%)
- Providing health insurance coverage (55%)
- Managing or reducing debt (53%)
- Building a retirement fund (51%)
- Creating an emergency fund (47%)
Education efforts a success
While obtaining benefits like health insurance and 401(k) contributions are big concerns, only 23% of workers are worried about managing these benefits.
So employers’ efforts to educate workers about their benefits appear to be paying off.