Background checks can be a hassle for HR, but a recent report shows why they’re still important.
Here’s what background checks have uncovered about candidates in the past year, according to a report by ADP Employer Services:
- Out of all background checks performed, 10% revealed some negative factor
- 44% of credit checks found at least one bad mark on a candidate’s credit (many companies perform credit checks for jobs that involve finance)
- More than 33% of applicants had violations on their driving records
- 8% of candidates had a prior workers’ compensation claim, and
- 6% of all applicants had a criminal conviction in the past seven years.
Given how often those record checks turn up negative information (and how quickly many candidates will supply false info on an application), screening applicants in appropriate categories could be a wise investment.