Third party recruiters can help HR find candidates for tough-to-fill positions. But not if both sides don’t take steps to keep the relationship productive.
Here are five things that bug recruiters and lead to bad searches, courtesy of third party recruiter Jennifer McClure:
- Polygamy — Hiring multiple third parties to fill the same position is an easy way to tell recruiters not to invest too much in the search, says McClure.
- Unrealistic timelines — It’s easy to find candidates quickly — but good candidates take time.
- Expectations of miracles — Hiring a good recruiter isn’t a substitute for attractive company culture, competitive pay, solid benefits, etc.
- Stingy pay — Recruiters are like employees — you get what you pay for.
- Bad communication — Outside recruiters know early on whether the client company will be a good communicator throughout the process. It’s important to lay out needs and expectations at the start and ensure the third party that you’ll be a good partner.