They are a Benefits pros’ best friend: non-cash rewards – and we’ve got some doozies for you.
Last week Mike Michalowicz a successful entrepreneur, author and president of the marketing firm Obsidian Launch, published an extensive list of ways to reward employees without money at American Express’ Open Forum business website.
Here are our 10 favorites:
- Let a top performer dump one project the person likes least on to you — his/her manager.
- Invite an employee and his/her spouse out to lunch — on the company, of course.
- Provide a new chair, desk or other piece of furniture.
- Have each employee write something positive about one person on a piece of paper, have it framed and present it as a gift to that person.
- Institute “playtime,” when employees can play games or shoot some hoops.
- Pay for an employee to take a fun class, such as cooking or skydiving. Just remember to let the employee pick when to take the class.
- Find something each employee likes to collect, like stamps or coins, and add to their collections.
- Pay to have an employee’s family portrait taken. You could even hang the photo somewhere in the office.
- Reserve the best parking spot for a week/month for an accomplished employee. For added effect, hire someone to wash the person’s car.
- Create a short video montage that celebrates an employee’s accomplishments, and show it over lunch. It’s OK if it’s low-budget and a little cheesy — as long as it’s fun.
Got any crazy, funny or creative ideas on how to reward employees? Share your thoughts in the Comments Box below.