Investing five minutes of your time could help your employees cut down their income taxes — and expand your fringe benefit offerings.
Just let employees know about IRS’ Free File program, which is no-cost, brand-name tax software combined with secure electronic filing for federal tax returns. The software helps taxpayers find important tax breaks, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Other benefits include:
- an electronic receipt from IRS saying the agency received the return
- the ability to print a paper copy of the return for the taxpayer’s records, and
- speedier tax refunds (if applicable) by having the money direct deposited into an account the taxpayer specifies.
Getting the word out
IRS wants to make getting its message out as easy as possible for employers. It suggests you:
- Include info about Free File on paystubs, on W-2s or in internal communications
- Post a Jan. 1 to April 15 Tax Day countdown widget on your website. (Visit www.freefile.irs.gov and copy the widget code.)
- Put info about Free File on a Facebook page or Twitter account.
Some language IRS suggests for your communications:
- 135 characters – Do your federal taxes with IRS Free File: Free brand-name software plus secure e-filing. Explore your options at www.irs.gov/freefile
- 129 characters – Let IRS free File do the hard work for you this tax season. Free brand-name software and secure e-filing at www.irs.gov/freefile.
For more info, go here.