ADA & FMLA in 2021: Navigating Overlapping Regulations
There are two major federal laws dealing with work leave in the private sector – the FMLA and the ADA – and they’re both complicated.
To stay compliant, you need to know these laws front to back – and you also need to understand the related impact of state workers’ compensation laws, family leave acts, paid sick leave acts, and pregnancy leave acts.
When these regulations overlap (as they often do), staying compliant can create huge challenges for an organization. If you make one misstep, you could find yourself in serious legal trouble.
This training will dive into the primary work leave elements of the FMLA and ADA and what to do when regulations collide. It’ll also provide guidance on how other leave acts impact HR – including benefits management decisions.
We’ll review what’s being proposed for extensions and reinstatement of FFCRA, including paid sick and medical leave and expanded FMLA.
You’ll leave this training prepared to:
- Uncover which work leave laws apply to any given set of circumstances
- Determine which work leave laws take precedence when laws conflict
- Handle COVID-19 related work leave
- Maintain compliant documentation for work leave at your organization
- And more
Understand complex laws regarding work leave
- What medical certifications are allowable under the ADA
- When leave beyond the FMLA 12-weeks is mandated – and when it’s not
- The impact of FMLA and ADA on return-to-work policies
- How to employ the EEOC Interactive Process when dealing with ADA extended leave requests
Get answers to your most pressing questions – including those about COVID’s impact on work leave
- Is Coronavirus an FMLA-covered serious health condition?
- Do workers have a right to work-leave under the ADA?
- Does the ADA mandate that an employee receive leave beyond the FMLA’s 12-week period?
- Can an employer require a worker to be completely healed before returning to work?
Stay compliant when granting leave to employees
- When work leave needs to be paid – and when it doesn’t
- Determine if a pregnant employee’s job needs to be held while she is on ADA or FMLA leave
- Updates on the status of FFCRA, unemployment, and other leave-related laws
- How to grant the appropriate amount of work leave under the ADA
About the Speaker
Max Muller has been an expert in business law for over 49 years. In 1990 he began a consulting practice focusing on workplace legalities, e.g., equal employment opportunity, sexual harassment, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, FLSA, ADEA, etc., as well as safety and health regulatory compliance.
Max has shared his knowledge and expertise with over 100,000 people worldwide through programs like this, and through his books, including the popular SHRM/HarperCollins Leadership book: The Manager’s Guide to HR: Hiring, Firing, Performance Evaluations, Documentation, Benefits, and Everything Else You Need to Know. Second Edition.
This session will equip employers to navigate the legal landmines in the ADA and FMLA to ensure total compliance – even when regulations overlap.
If you’d like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We’re certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!