The cost-of-living changes to retirement plans were just announced by the Internal Revenue Service.
Contribution limits for defined-benefit and defined-contribution plans will not change for 2010.
Limits are adjusted each year using a formula based on inflation.
And because recent inflation has been minimal, these limits will remain:
- $16,500 for 401(k), 403(b) and 457 plans (plus an additional $5,500 for those 50 or older by the end of 2009)
- $11,500 for SIMPLE plans (plus an additional $2,500 for those 50 or older by the end of 2007)
- $5,000 for traditional and ROTH IRAs (plus an additional $1,000 for those 50 or older by the end of 2009)
- $49,000 for defined-contribution KEOGH plans, and
- $195,000 for defined-benefit pension plans.