Looking to up your benefits program? Take some hints from a recent Reddit thread of the coolest, most unique benefits that users have at their workplace.
When you hear “benefits,” paid time off (PTO) and holidays are probably at the forefront of your mind. But these benefits are a little more out-of-the-box than your regular flex days and shortened workweek. If you’re looking for some extra time-off perks, consider implementing these unique benefits:
- Doctor’s visits: Give employees an extra day off to go to the doctor. This is a win-win for employees and employers because encouraging annual check-ups will help employees be proactive about their health and prevent illness or injuries in the long run.
- Unconventional PTO: Set aside PTO for some unique reasons. One user reported that employees’ birthdays were considered paid holidays, and another got 40 hours of paid time a year to attend their children’s events. Giving employees PTO will help improve work-life balance, and setting some aside for specific reasons will help encourage your employees to actually take the days off that they need.
- Winter break: Extend winter holidays (such as Dec. 23 – Jan. 1) to give employees a well-deserved break. One user with this benefit said, “There was a skeleton crew for emergencies so if you didn’t want to take that time off [you could save those days to use] later in the year. I loved it there.”
Wellness efforts are on the rise for employers to help keep the workforce happy and healthy. Wellness doesn’t always have to look like mindfulness resources and a focus on culture, though. There are some unique benefits out there that can help improve employee wellness. You may want to try:
- Laundry day: Yes, you heard that right – employees fill up a laundry bag on Monday, and get it back washed and folded on Wednesday. “As a person that hates doing laundry, this was legit,” the Reddit user said.
- Lifestyle account: Give your employees the encouragement they need to begin their wellness journey by giving them a set amount per year for wellness or health expenses. Some companies even offer reimbursement if the amount you spend exceeds your current balance.
- Volunteering: Helping out the community is more than just charitable – it can also help with team-building and wellness. One user said their company offers optional volunteer projects monthly like park clean-ups, working in soup kitchens and charity donations.
- In-office massages: More than one user said that their company offered in-office massages a few times a month, all expenses paid by the company. “That was heavenly for a desk job worker,” said one user.
Finances can take a huge mental toll on your employees. Struggling employees may be more prone to stress and therefore less engaged in work. Offering financial benefits can help employees feel secure, such as:
- Employee-funded help: Employees can lean on support from their co-workers with employee-funded donations along with an employer match. This not only helps employees in need but may also help build camaraderie between employees as they help each other out.
- Childcare: Most full-time parents need to find some type of childcare, so try offering childcare discounts, either by contributing to a Dependent Care FSA or finding a discount agreement with a childcare facility.
- Customer experience budgets: Car company Carvana gives employees a budget to help tailor the customer experience and make it unique. The user said, “It turned into cupcakes for people buying cars near their birthday, a huge basket of school supplies for a teacher […] We just did the right thing for the customer and made a bunch of people smile.”