New Version of the I-9: What You Need to Know
A new version of the form has just been released – and will be mandatory as of May 1st this year.
Like every U.S. employer with four or more employees, you’re required to complete and retain a Form I-9 for every current employee, certain past employees and each new hire.
Don’t be fooled by what seems like simple fill-in-the boxes forms. The mistakes employers commonly make on these forms are numerous – and costly.
Our expert will give you the latest updates that were just released a week ago…
On February 11th, Max Muller will address new changes to the form you need to know, common mistakes that Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) auditors look for on I-9 forms, using the E-Verify program, plus how to conduct a successful self-audit to ensure your records are accurate and compliant.
I-9 Self-Auditing 101:
- How to effectively conduct an internal I-9 audit
- What an E-Verify Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is all about
- How to appoint an agent in another state to handle I-9 paperwork for an out-of-state new hire
- Which version of Form I-9 you must use
I-9 Self-Auditing 201:
- What to do for employees hired during a time period when your company wasn’t using E-Verify
- How you can avoid or lessen penalties for non-compliance
Don’t fall for these common traps! You’ll learn:
- The most common mistakes ICE auditors look for
- The most current penalties being levied against noncompliant companies
- What to do if you find an error on an existing I-9
After attending this 90-minute workshop, you will be in a position to complete the new version of Form I-9 quickly and correctly, how to use the E-Verify program, plus be able to conduct a self-audit of I-9 records to ensure accuracy and compliance.
About the Speaker
Max Muller has been an expert in business law for over 40 years. In 1990 he began a consulting practice focusing on workplace legalities, e.g., equal employment opportunity, sexual harassment, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, FLSA, ADEA, etc., as well as safety and health regulatory compliance.
Max has shared his knowledge and expertise with over 100,000 people worldwide through programs like this, and through his books, including the popular SHRM/HarperCollins Leadership book: The Manager’s Guide to HR: Hiring, Firing, Performance Evaluations, Documentation, Benefits, and Everything Else You Need to Know.