Most leaders want to give feedback that helps employees do better. Unfortunately, many give feedback that makes employees feel worse about themselves and their work. In fact, feedback – even if you call it “constructive” – almost always reduces employee engagement, according to Peter Bregman and Howie Jacobson, coauthors of You Can Change Other People. […]
The feedback you give employees often falls on deaf ears. So how can you be heard? Give more meaningful feedback – whether it’s negative or positive – to make an impact. Professional trainers Karin Hurt and David Dye ask in their leadership development programs, If you knew your manager cared about you and had your best […]
You want to help all employees who don’t perform up to par. But it’s most difficult to manage know-it-alls who don’t recognize they need help. You know them – the ones who say, “I don’t see the problem.” Or “You’re just being picky.” Or “No worries, boss, I got this.” Whether it’s HR or a […]
Performance reviews are a stressful event for both managers and employees. They can range from awkward conversations to pointless feedback to ugly HR nightmares.
And a bad review system doesn’t just hurt employee performance. It can have serious consequences for morale and turnover too.
Now that you’ve mastered working and managing from home, here’s the next challenge: remote performance reviews. Under normal circumstances, performance reviews are stressful for both sides. Now leaders have to take stock of people they haven’t seen in months and review work they’ve only witnessed from afar. Fortunately, leaders can do it effectively and fairly […]
Our team of experts fields real-life, everyday questions from HR managers and gives practical answers that can be applied by any HR pro in the same situation. Today’s question: Should someone from HR sit in when an employee is getting a poor performance review?
The book — The Trophy Kids Grow Up: How the Millenial Generation is Shaking Up the Workplace — describes what today’s new college graduates expect from their employers. Hint: You’re probably not going to like what the author has to say.
No one likes to have difficult conversations – and the last thing you want to do is make it worse. HR professionals probably face more difficult conversations than anyone in a workplace. Then you get to top that with having to help front-line managers navigate their tough talks. What a challenge! But one way to […]
You may know the value of retention. Now you can make sure everyone else in the organization does, too. First, you have to show that retention efforts really are worth the time and bother. Or do they just amount to busy work for HR? The answer comes in 13 words: Organizations with loyal, longtime employees get […]
As we move into 2019, organizations of all sizes are once again reviewing employee performance management strategies. In a field as dynamic and fast-changing as HR, the new year is seeing HR teams trying new approaches that include recent scientific insights, productivity research and technology developments. The traditional annual review is on its way out […]
Whenever a supervisor has to make a critical decision about an employee, someone’s bound to ask, “You have documentation to support that? It’s not enough just to have documentation; what’s more important is having the right documentation.
Chatter of an economic rebound could spark a string of employee raise requests. If it does, are you ready to respond?
Ah, annual performance reviews – perhaps the most dreaded meeting of the year by both employee and boss. And now researchers say they aren’t only dreaded and ineffective: they’re potentially harmful to the people and the company. Just 14% of employees agree their performance review inspires them to improve. The other 86%? Perhaps they’re just […]
Get up to date with our Blueprints.